Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:06 pm
I find the notes feature very helpful and important in my daily use. However I have a few issues that perhaps could be addressed in the future. I add these comments in case they are useful, or in case you can point me to features that I have overlooked.
- Default style. I almost always create my notes with the same style, slightly different from the default (different color/size/opacity/alignment/font). I thus need to adjust this on each note I make. I'd love if the system would either a) remember my last note's style and reuse it, b) let me save a style as a default, or c) let me pick from a few standard styles that I have saved. I realize that you currently reuse info on the same page, but I'd like this to apply on future edits on different pages as well. I usually make just one or two notes at a time on a given page.
- Lock the box dimensions. I make many notes that consist of a single chord or position symbol. After making the enclosing box small to match the text size, it is then VERY hard to move the box to the position where I want it. Instead, my attempts to touch the box get interpreted as a touch to the corner, and the box resizes. I'd like a button that says "lock size" that prevents this -- after which any touch to the box would simply move it. I realize that I can move the box to the desired position and THEN resize it, but even then I often find myself accidentally resizing boxes.
- Size nudges. I find it difficult to adjust height and width to exactly what I want -- the finger is not very precise, so I wind up wiggling the dimensions quite a bit before I get something usable. Then as I lift my finger the size changes and I have to try again. Could the two sliders have buttons or arrows at the ends, that move the slider a single notch? Alternatively, change these from sliders to numeric fields with up/down buttons. That would also release some screen real estate -- today's four slider rows could be put onto two rows.
- Auto resize to fit content. I generally need to resize my boxes to match the text, which is tedious. It would be great if you could resize the box to match the text. Assuming that is not simple, even an approximate resize based on the number of characters would be a big time saver for me (e.g. X pixels times the number of characters). This might just be done on a new note, i.e. going from a blank to a non-blank entry.
- Symbols. The note editor offers five special symbol buttons: eighth note, quarter note, natural, hand left, hand right. First, on the iPad Pro the text on these buttons is so small as to be nearly invisible...but perhaps that's just my eyes. Second, I'd find this much more useful if there were a single 'symbol' button that brought up a drop-down or pop-up pallet with a variety of common musical symbols, perhaps also including chord symbols, section labels (letters in boxes), roman numerals in caps, etc. Today we accomplish this using keyboard entry, but that can be a slow process using Shift/Caps Lock/symbol entry/etc.
- Help button. New users would probably benefit from a help button that brings up a short cheat-sheet describing basic note usage, especially the counter-intuitive "press the page anywhere for two seconds to enter edit mode". I only recently realized that I could do this anywhere, rather than within a note, which often caused me trouble when the note was near the top or bottom of the page and I wound up moving forward or backward in the book.